Through the arts, we want to share about the freedom of Christ's love, tell the redemption story, stir hearts to our Creator, and engage others in worship.
STARZ, Turning Pointe’s Theater Company, is designed to offer foundational theatrical training, dance technique, and vocal training in a safe environment. Kids will learn fine arts skills, build relationships, and learn the ins and outs of stage productions. Our desire is to honor God in all we do and serve Him with the talents He has entrusted to us. We practice this thru shared devotions and outreach opportunities. Students will grow as both artists and God’s workmanship as we study, fellowship and worship through our craft. We desire to be a light in the darkness, stars in this fallen world, who use the arts to direct others toward the love of Christ!
"Our goal is to lay a firm foundation of skills and excellence in acting, singing, dancing, and production wrapped in an environment which emphasizes the role of our faith in the world of the Arts and brings students/families together for a unique season of "building community." We want each student to leave STARZ with tools for life and with the confidence to be a voice...no matter their arena of influence. This is who we are...this is what we bring to the world of the Arts in our community!"
Mrs. Swank - Producer
STARZ is a division of Turning Pointe School of Dance
STARZ Theater Company is a division of Turning Pointe School of Dance in Colorado Springs, CO. STARZ Theater Company and Turning Pointe School of Dance are Christian based programs that provide a 6-month intensive opportunity to grow in theatrical and production skills, produce a ticketed event open to our community, participate in acts of service to one another and our community and create a unique season of community. Under the STARZ Theater Company (STC) umbrella is STARZ Rizing and STARZ.
STARZ Rizing is the entry point for STARZ Theater Company. It is specifically designed for students needing additional experience and training in voice, acting and dance. This is for students of all ages as our goal is additional experience and exposure to the theater process. Please see the "STARZ Rizing" tab for more information.
STARZ is show based training and driven almost entirely by the demands of the Winter Showcase Performance. Experience in voice, acting and dance are crucial. These perspectives will be utilized in final decisions for placement within our Company.
Additional Directorial Team considerations for casting include:
- Talent and potential talent displayed throughout the audition process.
- Attitude throughout the audition process.
- Past STARZ and STARZ Rizing performances, behavior and attitude demonstrated.
- Information and restrictions provided in Audition Application.
- Potential for growth and overall teach-ability.
AUDITIONS WILL TAKE PLACE SPRING 2018. SEE CALENDAR TAB FOR MORE INFO.
- Bring completed Audition Application, $15 Audition Fee, and Photo to audition.
- Age requirement: This show is for students ages 8-17 (this must be your age range throughout our season AND during the shows).
- Audition Performance Requirements will include: 1 dramatic and 1 comedic monologue (1 minute each), 2 minute vocal performance, and a 1 minute dance presentation (for those with dance training). If you have Tap or Jazz experience, please perform a number in 1 of those styles of dance. If you do not have Tap or Jazz experience, please perform the style of your choice.
- Our 2018 Winter Showcase Presentation is a Tap heavy show, but Tap is NOT a requirement to be in the show.
- New requirements for younger students: Students ages 8-10 will be required to perform 1 monologue of your choice (1 minute), a 1 minute vocal performance, and a 1 minute dance presentation, if the performer has dance experience.
- Previous participation in STARZ or STARZ Rizing is not a guarantee of placement in STARZ. Roles in the Winter Showcase are limited. A formal offer will be emailed in July. An emailed acceptance of offer, a signed Parent/Student Contract and a commitment to the STC Boot Camp are required to accept a placement within STARZ.
- Each student and at least one parent are required to be a part of Orientation at the beginning of Boot Camp.
- Parents/families of STARZ students are asked to prayerfully consider where they can give time and talent. For more information on our volunteer teams, please go to Our Team tab.
- Rehearsal requirements: dance/movement appropriate attire, water bottle, pencil, highlighter, notebook and a "can do" attitude that seeks to contribute to the STARZ Theater Company team through attitude and actions.
- Absences must be communicated in advance, if at all possible.
- With only one day of rehearsal each week, three absentees are the limit per student for the season.
- Each student is required to participate in at least one outreach and at least two promos. These will be communicated as dates are confirmed and usually take place in November, December and January. Some promos are at schools and during school hours.
- Each student and at least one parent are required to sign off on the Parent/Student Contract that will be included with the Casting Offer Email sent in July.
- Students are often encouraged to take additional dance classes to strengthen that piece of our production. That is decided on an individual basis.
2018 Mandatory STARZ Theater Company Boot Camp Dates:
- Saturday, August 4th (all day - STARZ/STARZ Rizing and at least one parent or guardian for each student will be needed from 9:00 - 11 a.m. for Orientation)
- Monday, August 6 (afternoon only - STARZ/STARZ Rizing)
- Tuesday, August 7 - Thursday, August 9th (afternoons only - STARZ only)
- Final schedule TBD
Season Rehearsal Info:
- Saturdays ONLY: 12 noon – 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday rehearsals begin August 18, 2018.
- This time includes 30 minutes of Bible based devotional time as a Company.
- Holiday breaks: Labor Day Weekend, Thanksgiving Weekend, Christmas Break.
- January 2019 is Show Month and consists of Photo Shoot Saturday, Technical Rehearsal Day, Dress Rehearsal Day and 4 ticketed shows total. Specific show dates are TBD but these Saturdays will be FULL DAY commitments as we prepare for show weekends. These are mandatory attendance.
2018-19 required fees for STARZ:
- STARZ - $65/month August – January with a 1-time $75 production fee due in January.
- STARZ Rizing - $50/month August - January with a 1-time $60 production fee due in January.
- Our Program Ad Sales do offer the opportunity to offset production fees entirely. More information about this will be available during Boot Camp Week.