Through the arts, we want to share about the freedom of Christ's love, tell the redemption story, stir hearts to our Creator, and engage others in worship.
STARZ, Turning Pointe’s Theater Company, is designed to offer foundational theatrical training, dance technique, and vocal training in a safe environment. Kids will learn fine arts skills, build relationships, and learn the ins and outs of stage productions. Our desire is to honor God in all we do and serve Him with the talents He has entrusted to us. We practice this thru shared devotions and outreach opportunities. Students will grow as both artists and God’s workmanship as we study, fellowship and worship through our craft. We desire to be a light in the darkness, stars in this fallen world, who use the arts to direct others toward the love of Christ!
"Our goal is to lay a firm foundation of skills and excellence in acting, singing, dancing, and production wrapped in an environment which emphasizes the role of our faith in the world of the Arts and brings students/families together for a unique season of "building community." We want each student to leave STARZ with tools for life and with the confidence to be a voice...no matter their arena of influence. This is who we are...this is what we bring to the world of the Arts in our community!"
Mrs. Swank - Producer
STARZ is a division of Turning Pointe School of Dance
STARZ Theater Company is a division of Turning Pointe School of Dance in Colorado Springs, CO. STARZ Theater Company and Turning Pointe School of Dance are Christian based programs that provide a 6-month intensive opportunity to grow in theatrical and production skills, produce a ticketed event open to our community, participate in acts of service to one another and our community and create a unique season of community. Under the STARZ Theater Company (STC) umbrella is STARZ Rizing and STARZ.
STARZ Rizing is the entry point for STARZ Theater Company. It is specifically designed for students needing additional experience and training in voice, acting and dance. This is for students of all ages as our goal is additional experience and exposure to the theater process. Please see the "STARZ Rizing" tab for more information.
STARZ is show based training and driven almost entirely by the demands of the Winter Showcase Performance. Experience in voice, acting and dance are crucial. These perspectives will be utilized in final decisions for placement within our Company.
Ideal progression for STC students is to receive at least two years of training in the Musical Theater program of Turning Pointe School of Dance. While continuing that training, placement in STARZ Rizing is possible based on audition performance and readiness indicators. Most students should expect to be a part of STARZ Rizing for at least two years before advancement will be considered. However, there are exceptions to the process each season. Various factors for consideration are determined by the STC Directorial Team. Placement in STARZ is based on the needs of the show, as well as the preparedness of each student for the demands of that show.
Additional Directorial Team considerations for casting include:
- Talent and potential talent displayed throughout the audition process.
- Attitude throughout the audition process.
- Past STARZ and STARZ Rizing performances, behavior and attitude demonstrated.
- Information and restrictions provided in Audition Application.
- Potential for growth and overall teach-ability.
Peter pan cast has been announced. SEE CALENDAR TAB FOR show dates & MORE INFO.
- Bring completed Audition Application, $20 Audition Fee, and Photo to audition.
- Age requirement: This show is for students ages 8-17 (this must be your age range throughout our season AND during the shows).
- Audition Performance Requirements will include: 1 dramatic and 1 comedic monologue (1 minute each), 2 minute vocal performance, and a 1 minute dance presentation (for those with dance training). Please choose the genre of your preference to perform.
- New requirements for younger students: Students ages 8-10 will be required to perform 1 monologue of your choice (1 minute), a 1 minute vocal performance, and a 1 minute dance presentation, if the performer has dance experience.
- No member of the STC Directorial and Leadership Team can participate in the process of helping prepare students for STC auditions via private lessons. Parents and students who are unsure of audition readiness are encouraged to seek out professional input for their students as they prepare for auditions.
- No Member of the Directorial or Leadership Team will field inquiries prior to, during, or post auditions, about auditions, or the "why's" of decisions made. Once the Cast List is posted, it is final. The Directorial and Leadership Team of STC asks that each family and student respectfully consider their offer and simply accept, or decline, the opportunity. Phone calls, attempt at meetings, emails, or any other communication in this regard will be met with no response. We are grateful for your respect of the incredibly thoughtful and prayerful process that goes into the placement of each and every student.
- Click here for the cast list for Peter Pan Jr.
- More Audition Information here.
- Previous participation in STARZ or STARZ Rizing is not a guarantee of placement in STARZ. Roles in the Winter Showcase are limited. A formal offer will be emailed in July. An emailed acceptance of offer, a signed Parent/Student Contract and a commitment to the STC Kick Off day and the following Intensive Week (in addition to weekly rehearsals which begin Aug. 18th) are required to accept a placement within STARZ.
- Each student and at least one parent are required to be a part of Orientation at the beginning of Kick Off.
- Parents/families of STARZ students are asked to prayerfully consider where they can give time and talent. For more information on our volunteer teams, please go to Our Team tab.
- Rehearsal requirements: dance/movement appropriate attire, water bottle, pencil, highlighter, notebook and a "can do" attitude that seeks to contribute to the STARZ Theater Company team through attitude and actions.
- Absences must be communicated in advance, if at all possible. Commitments and/or absences known prior to auditions should be indicated on the Audition Application.
- With only one day of rehearsal each week, three absentees are the limit per student for the season.
- Each student is required to participate in at least one outreach and at least two promos. These will be communicated as dates are confirmed and usually take place in November, December and January. Some promos are at schools and during school hours.
- Each student and at least one parent are required to sign off on the Parent/Student Contract that will be included with the Casting Offer Email sent in July.
- Students are often encouraged to take additional dance classes to strengthen that piece of our production. That is decided on an individual basis.
2018 Mandatory STARZ Theater Company Kick Off and Intensive Dates:
- Saturday, August 4th (all day - STARZ/STARZ Rizing and at least one parent or guardian for each student will be needed from 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. for Orientation)
- Monday, August 6 (afternoon only - STARZ/STARZ Rizing)
- Tuesday, August 7 - Thursday, August 9th (afternoons only - STARZ only)
- Final schedule TBD
Season Rehearsal Info:
- Saturdays for STARZ: 12:30 – 4:30 p.m. (With the possibility of extending the time to 5:30 p.m. from Oct.-Dec.)
- Wednesdays: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Possible Additional Rehearsal Time for Starz Leads and Starz Specialty Groups only - will be communicated throughout the season.
- Rehearsals begin Saturday, August 18, 2018.
- Saturday rehearsal times are subject to vary, as there will be Saturdays where specific groups may be asked to come early, or stay longer, for additional rehearsal time. Times are subject to vary, particularly in November and December as we begin to prepare for Photo Shoot Day and Show Month.
- This time includes 30 minutes of Bible based devotional time as a Company.
- Holiday breaks: Labor Day Weekend, Thanksgiving Weekend, Christmas Break.
- January 2019 is Show Month and consists of all day Saturday rehearsals, Load In to venue, Technical Rehearsal Day, Dress Rehearsal Day, 4 ticketed shows total, and Load Out. Specific show dates are TBD but these Saturdays will be FULL DAY commitments as we prepare for show weekends. These are mandatory attendance.
- Show Week will begin on Tuesday and run through the weekend performances. Please plan for after school rehearsals (4-10 p.m.) on Tuesday - Thursday. There will be 4-5 performances over the course of the weekend (Friday - Sunday). After the final performance on Sunday, all hands on deck as we completely load out of venue. More details for Show Week will be forth coming in August. Show Week participation is required for all performers and Support Teams.
- STC Cast Party is usually on a Saturday within 2 weeks following Show Weekend. This is not mandatory but is a highly anticipated celebration each season as Cast Members receive their infamous "Candy Awards" and keep sakes. Party date and location will be announced later in the season.
STARZ Theater Company is a division of Turning Pointe School of Dance and is a tuition based 6 month program with a one-time production fee.
2018-19 required tuition/fees for STARZ:
- STARZ - $75/month August – January with a 1-time $85 production fee due in January.
- STARZ Rizing - $50/month August - January with a 1-time $60 production fee due in January.
- Our Program Ad Sales do offer the opportunity to offset production fees entirely. More information about this will be available during Kick Off Intensive Week.